httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Edmundsson <ni...@acc.umu.se>
Subject Re: httpd 2.4.25, mpm_event, ssl: segfaults
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2017 12:46:16 GMT
On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Yann Ylavic wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Going off on a tangent here:
>>>
>>> For those of you who actually know how the ssl stuff really works, is it
>>> possible to get multiple threads involved in doing the encryption, or do
>>> you need the results from the previous block in order to do the next
>>> one?
>>
>> I'm not a cryptographer, but I think how parallelizable it is depends on the
>> ciphersuite in use. Like you say, some ciphersuites require one block to be
>> fed into the next as an input; others don't.
>
> Yes, and the cost of scheduling threads for non dedicated cypto device
> is not worth it I think.
> But mainly there is not only one stream involved in a typical HTTP
> server, so probably multiple simulteneous connections already saturate
> the AES-NI...

Actually, the AES-NI capability can be seen as a dedicated crypto
device of sorts... It's just a bit more versatile with a CPU core
stuck in there as well ;-)

I would much prefer if httpd could be able to push full bandwidth
single-stream https using multiple cores instead of enticing users to
use silly "parallel get" clients, download accelerators and whatnot.

Granted, the use cases are not perhaps the standard
serve-many-files-to-the-public ones, but they do exist. And depending
on which way the computing trends blow we might start seeing more
competing low-power cpus with more cores and less capability requiring
more threads to perform on single/few-stream workloads.

In any event I don't think the basic idea of multiple-thread-crypto
should be dismissed lightly, especially if someone (definitely not me)
figures out a neat way to do it :-)

Personally, it's the angst! of having to wait more than 10 seconds for
a DVD-sized Linux-distro.iso download when I KNOW that there are 7
cores idling and knowing that without the single-core bottleneck I
would have 6 additionals seconds of time to spend on something useful
8-()

/Nikke - thinking that the Subject is not that accurate anymore...
  Niklas Edmundsson, Admin @ {acc,hpc2n}.umu.se      |     nikke@acc.umu.se
  Sattinger's Law:  It works better if you plug it in.