httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: httpd 2.4.25, mpm_event, ssl: segfaults
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:50:33 GMT
On 02/07/2017 02:32 AM, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> O_DIRECT also bypasses any read-ahead logic, so you'll have to do nice
> and big IO etc to get good performance.

Yep, confirmed... my naive approach to O_DIRECT, which reads from the
file in the 8K chunks we're used to from the file bucket brigade,
absolutely mutilates our performance (80% slowdown) *and* rails the disk
during the load test. Not good.

(I was hoping that combining the O_DIRECT approach with in-memory
caching would give us the best of both worlds. Nope. A plain read() with
no explicit caching at all is much, much faster on my machine.)

> We've played around with O_DIRECT to optimize the caching process in our
> large-file caching module (our backing store is nfs). However, since all
> our hosts are running Linux we had much better results with doing plain
> reads and utilizing posix_fadvise with POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED to trigger
> read-ahead and POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED to drop the original file from cache
> when read (as future requests will be served from local disk cache).
> We're doing 8MB fadvise chunks to get full streaming performance when
> caching large files.

Hmm, I will keep the file advisory API in the back of my head, thanks
for that.

For the next step, I want to find out why TLS connections see such a big
performance hit when I switch off mmap(), but unencrypted connections
don't... it's such a huge difference that I feel like I must be missing
something obvious.

--Jacob