httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: Reset out x.minor.z definition of 'minor' at httpd?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:06:33 GMT

Am 19.01.2017 um 22:43 schrieb William A Rowe Jr:
> I think one of our disconnects with 2.4 -> 2.6 is that in any other
> framework, there would be no ABI breakage in 2.6. That breakage
> would be deferred to and shipped as 3.0

every PHP version in the past decade (5.3, 5.4, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2) is a
ABI breakage by definition and that's what the second number in the
version stands for (major.minor.revision)

the same for MySQL 5.0, 5.1 and 5.5 all changed the ABI and caused mass
rebuilds of linux distributions for every depending package

sorry but no idea how you come to that conclusion

however, the ABI change don't bother the userbase, incompatible config
changes when the software don't know something like warnings but refuse
to start when there is a option which is from a later release or a
option which was removed is what brings people in trouble like one
needed weeks to migrate every peice of configuration inclduding
.htaccess files where you still have the same problem when you install
Magento and did not disable .htaccess entirely