httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proposed] 2.4 Maintenance SIG
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:45:39 GMT
On 01/19/2017 12:52 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> Frequent releases set off alarms in system admins minds, frequent
> releases give the view of unstable/unreliable software, and that is the
> largest cause of movement to an alternative.

So, the last [1] two [2] times you've pushed this viewpoint, you've been
the only one. You remain the only person I've ever known to hold this
opinion, and I speak as someone who maintained a long-term-release-style
distribution for my previous employer, shipping updates to customers who
were often *incredibly* angry when we broke them.

I know what qualities I want from an upstream provider. "We sit on
patches because we'll look bad if we release them too often" is not a
desired quality.

In fact... you promised to bring others who agreed with you the next
time this came up:

On 03/29/2016 12:37 AM, Noel Butler wrote:
 > I accept you only see this as one opinion since they are not posting
 > here, next time it comes up, I'll put a call on the other lists for
 > every single one of them to sub to this list and put their thoughts
 > forward :)

I trust you'll make good on this promise, so we can have a good
conversation here. Until then, I don't really want to repeat the
back-and-forth of the previous discussions.

--Jacob

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/749c959edab1990ae56bc805db41b4a501ccbb6039400f379db02c7f@1447744388@%3Cdev.httpd.apache.org%3E
[2]