httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: Reset out x.minor.z definition of 'minor' at httpd?
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 20:46:43 GMT

> Am 20.01.2017 um 21:37 schrieb Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>:
>
> On 20 Jan 2017, at 7:47 PM, David Zuelke <dz@heroku.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd actually like to question the whole practice of porting features back to older
branches. I think that's the core reason why trunk is in total disarray, and why no substantial
releases have been made. There is just no reason for anyone to push forward the state of 2.6
or even 3.0 if you can just backport whatever you want.

> The reason this is bad is because Apache httpd comes with a module ecosystem - when you
move from httpd v2.0 to v2.2 to v2.4 to v2.6, or rules are that the ABI can break, and therefore
all modules that depend on that version must be recompiled. This includes modules that are
closed source and offered by a proprietary vendor, or are open source but provided in binary
form by a distro.

> Right now, you can get new features on the httpd v2.4 branch, but ONLY if that feature
does not break existing behaviour in any way. This is entirely reasonable, convenient, and
what we’ve been doing since the 1990s.

Agree to the plan. I can see only one exception to this and that is the experimental HTTP/2
support. The introduction of slave connections is NOT ENTIRELY backward compatible. I try
to make this as compatible as possible, but there are limits.

>> [...]

>> I have said this in the other thread that hasn't gotten much traction ("A new release
process?"). The PHP team was in the exact same spot as HTTPD a few years ago. No substantial
progress, stale branches, no light at the end of the tunnel, and a lot of fighting.

> We’ve had a significant amount of progress, a trunk that is so stable that almost all
fixes and features can be backported to v2.4 without any fear of incompatibility, and the
“fighting” is limited to very few individuals.

> We’re not broken, we don’t need fixing.

Agreed.

> Regards,
> Graham