httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternate versioning proposal: patch line releases
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 01:00:16 GMT
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com> wrote:
> We branch off from the 2.4.25 tag. This is our low-risk 2.4.25.x patch line.
> There are no new features or large code changes to this branch, there are no
> refactorings or whitespace changes or huge cleanups; the only changes that
> land here are targeted bug fixes to 2.4.25.

My fear here is that nearly nobody would ever end up using these patch
line releases, but we'd probably never know for sure.

Meanwhile, we probably won't do a great job at actually excluding the
stuff that we'd later learn is detrimental.

As I just said in the other thread, it might make more sense to split
2.4/2.6 now w/o the usual bumps so there is a non trunk release for
people to innovate in relatively safely (new mods, new opt-in
features, etc).  Right now the lack of another option contributes to
the "other" trunk issue as a testbed that doesn't see much testing and
ages longer then it should.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com