httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proposed] 2.4 Maintenance SIG
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:33:20 GMT
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Stefan Eissing
<stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:

> It will surprise no one that I like to release more often. OTOH I do
> not like to break things.
>
> The current release model clearly does not work well, in my limited
> experience over that last 15 months. Why?
>
> httpd is a rich product used in literally millions of different
> setups. This complexity is beyond our resources to test. Adding new
> functionality at the same time is just too much.

I tend to agree, we shouldn't refrain ourselves from adding
features/improvements to a release because there are also important
bug/security fixes in it.

> Personally, I like even/odd version schemes for stable/dev versions.
> But whatever works is fine. There are a lot of successful projects in
> and outside ASF with a good release scheme. Let's steal with pride
> one we think is good.

How about a release-able 2.5 (RTC still), forked from and
bugfix/security-synced with 2.4, where we could put anything
interesting/tested/working from trunk, with few (if any) API/ABI
garantees (motivated changes still!), until it becomes 2.6?
And then so on with 2.7, 2.6 is stable, 2.5 becomes immediatly
unmaintained, 2.4's EOL is announced...

I'd be fine fine we something like this, and I don't mind about
numbering or such, it's more about some process we could agree on.

Regards,
Yann.