httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_fcgi: Excessive memory usage when large files are uploaded
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:03:33 GMT
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Ivan Zahariev <famzah@famzah.net> wrote:

> 1. Delete each bucket after sending it to the "ipc_handle". I've looked through
> the call tree and the *output_brigade is last used by proc_write_ipc().
> Therefore, it should be safe to empty it while being processed there.
> 2. Take the same approach as mod_http2, which handles FILE buckets in a
> different way. Instead of using apr_bucket_read(), they process FILE buckets
> by apr_file_read() and manage the data buffer manually. This way the
> original *output_brigade won't be modified and automatically split by
> apr_bucket_read(). This requires more coding work.

I would go for 1., but keep in mind that you can't delete the bucket
while it is still pointed to by the iovec...

An (optimal) alternative would be to use apr_socket_sendfile() (for
file buckets) like sendfile_nonblocking() does in httpd's core output
filter (see server/core_filters.c).
But 1. is wise still for non file buckets.

Regards,
Yann.