httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [proposed] 2.4 Maintenance SIG
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:07:52 GMT
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net> wrote:

> On 20/01/2017 05:54, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>
>> posts, I don't think you will find a single post where I suggested
>> that there is an issue with the frequency of releases, but please
>> feel free.
>
> I believe that was me :)
>
>> You've put restated the argument again this month that if we
>> don't enhance and add features, we will lose user share to
>> another web server.
>
> Frequent releases set off alarms in system admins minds, frequent releases give the view
of unstable/unreliable software, and that is the largest cause of movement to an alternative.

I don't believe anyone has that opinion of nghttp2.

I think Tatsuhiro's release model for nghttp2 has been brilliant.

Monthly, there are new features (1.next.0). If there are regressions
between 1.next.0 releases, these are 1.current.1, 1.current.2 and
so on.

If the code works, he ships it. I'm impressed, and don't have any
negative perception that getting bug fixes out very quickly says
anything negative about nghttp2.