httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>
Subject Re: [proposed] 2.4 Maintenance SIG
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:52:00 GMT
On 20/01/2017 05:54, William A Rowe Jr wrote:

> posts, I don't think you will find a single post where I suggested
> that there is an issue with the frequency of releases, but please
> feel free.

I believe that was me :)

> You've put restated the argument again this month that if we
> don't enhance and add features, we will lose user share to
> another web server.

Frequent releases set off alarms in system admins minds, frequent
releases give the view of unstable/unreliable software, and that is the
largest cause of movement to an alternative.

I've stated my thoughts many times over the years...

x.major for new features

x.major.minor for bug fixes

trunk snapshots for the x.major "new stuff" as a use at your own risk

public release candidates advertised and made available for x.x.minor
"bug fixes" before any vote - this allows bug reporter to test further,
and time to see if the fix has introduced other problems before going
mainstream, but should exclude very critical security hole plugging,
which should go straight to release vote.

--
Kind Regard,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/