httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: clang-analyzer?
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2017 09:48:00 GMT
On 08 Jan 2017, at 4:45 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> I ran clang-analyzer against the HTTPD master branch, and it found 126 issues. Many of
these are benign, but I was curious if the community has any thoughts on this? With another
project, I’ve found that keep static code analysis to zero issues can really help finding
new, serious issues (basically, we put the tree in failed state if there’s a new static
code analysis issue).

> The issues are all over the source code, in core and mod_’s alike. It’d be pretty
tedious to file individual tickets for each of them, so curious if there’s any interest
in cleaning this up to start with a clean state? It’d then be easy to add clang-analyzer
to the release process for example.

Adding clang-analyzer to a make target (not a default part of the build) would be a good step,
it would make it easy for anyone to run it if they had it available.

The most effective contributions would be patches to fix each one. From experience it is difficult
to fix these sort of things without the ability to rerun the analyser to ensure the issue
is gone, and every now and again issues uncover things that may take some time to fix. Agreed
that getting these things to zero would be a good thing to have.

Regards,
Graham
—