httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name>
Subject Re: Alternate versioning proposal: patch line releases
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 00:25:15 GMT
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 03:49:14PM -0800, Jacob Champion wrote:
> We branch off from the 2.4.25 tag.

I am not sure you mean this literally, but anyway:

While basing a branch off of a tag (svn copy ^/tags/foo ^/branches/newbranch)
works, I would recommend to always create a branch first, and then copy that
branch to a tag. And then use this branch as destination for future patches,
and as the copy source of tags representing future releases.

So you would perform svn copies like this:

svn copy ^/trunk ^/branches/2.4.x
svn copy ^/branches/2.4.x ^/branches/2.4.25.x
svn copy ^/branches/2.4.25.x ^/tags/2.4.25.0
# work on 2.4.25.x branch
svn copy ^/branches/2.4.25.x ^/tags/2.4.25.1
# work on 2.4.25.x branch
etc.

The reason is that this way, all tags have copyfrom info pointing back
to the branch they are derived from, and there is no special case where
a tag suddenly becomes the copy source of a branch. This choice affects
both the repository structure as well as the arguments people would be
passing to svn copy to perform one of these steps.

That said, this is mosly a cosmetic concern. The other way *should*
work since SVN is always just dealing with copies.
But I'm a tiny bit annoyed that SVN allows it :)