httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reset out x.minor.z definition of 'minor' at httpd?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:26:08 GMT
> Once this is complete, binary breaking ABI changes would live in
> their own feature development forks. They would never be folded
> into trunk until there was a group consensus to push forward to
> version next.0.0 in the immediate future. trunk/ would cease to be
> a sandbox of ideas unready for release.

I can't comment meaningfully on all of your proposal, but I would like
this part very much. Ideally, I'd like *most* changes (that are more
complex than a single patch) to be part of a feature branch, whether
they're ABI breakers or not, to help with backporting. But having trunk
be closer to release-ready at all times would be a big step forward.

(Aside: my current experiment with a feature branch, for the in-tree
tests in trunk, is somewhat inconclusive. I screwed up the invocations
and used a deprecated merge strategy, and I suspect it won't backport as
cleanly as I wanted it to. Live and learn.)

--Jacob