httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A new release process?
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 05:40:07 GMT
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM, David Zuelke <dz@heroku.com> wrote:
> As a, more or less, "outside observer", I happen to think that the current method of
voting on finals, instead of a practice of rolling out RCs (that are then left up for testing
for at least a week), is fundamentally broken. The 2.4 changelog in particular is littered
with releases that were never officially published. For users, that's really confusing. For
maintainers, it's painful to start over the process each time, and it sometimes leads to months
and months without a release that contains certain fixes. Then a backport goes wrong (still
using SVN, in my opinion, does not help there, but that's a whole different discussion :)),
and a regression is in the latest release until someone eventually picks up a fix.

It seems to me that most "not released" versions are immediately
superseded.  The practice of throwing away the number instead of
calling the initial contents an RC shouldn't contribute meaningfully
to a fix being delayed.

New blood for release managers would be nice, and smaller/more
frequent /more predictable releases would probably help that.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com