httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yehuda Katz <yeh...@ymkatz.net>
Subject Re: The Version Bump fallacy [Was Re: Post 2.4.25]
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 00:40:13 GMT
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:35 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> Our adoption is *broadly* based on the OS distributions
> from vendors, not from people picking up our sources.
> Yes - some integrate directly from source, and others
> use a non-OS distribution.

I think a significant number of users of nginx add the official nginx
yum/apt sources and keep up to date that way (
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html#mainline).
This is particularly true because the vendor-supplied version are so old.
You can see this in the w3techs data: nginx 1.10.2 came out in October and
already makes up 75% of all nginx 1.10 users. nginx 1.11.8 usage has
similar trends.

A possible solution to this would be to start publishing binaries in a
package-manager-accessible format.
I am confident it would see a much higher rate of adoption.

- Y