httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: The Version Bump fallacy [Was Re: Post 2.4.25]
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 09:28:13 GMT

and keep up to date that way (http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html#mainline).
> This is particularly true because the vendor-supplied version are so old. You can see
this in the w3techs data: nginx 1.10.2 came out in October and already makes up 75% of all
nginx 1.10 users. nginx 1.11.8 usage has similar trends.

> A possible solution to this would be to start publishing binaries in a package-manager-accessible
format.
> I am confident it would see a much higher rate of adoption.

Very good point. Myself using a ppa for my ubuntu server via

	deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/apache2/ubuntu trusty main

that updates very quickly. It already has 2.4.25. There are other people doing this for various
distros. The least we could do is document the ones we know, talk to people how they see it
continue. Offer a https place and visibility on Apache servers maybe?

Does that make sense?

> - Y

Stefan Eissing

<green/>bytes GmbH