httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Post 2.4.25
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 14:23:30 GMT

> On Dec 28, 2016, at 6:28 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>

> Because fixing r->uri is such a priority, trust that I'll be voting every 2.6 candidate
a -1 until it exists. I don't know why the original httpd founders are so hung up on version
number conservation, they are cheap, but we are breaking a key field of a core request structure
and no other OSS project would be stupid enough to call that n.m+1.

Who is digging in their heels and blocking new development
now?

So you are admitting that you will "veto" (although you
can't veto a release) any 2.5.* "releases" unless and
until r->uri is "fixed". Which implies, obviously, a
very substantial refactoring. Which implies time. Which
implies that if you also say "no new enhancements in 2.4"
that it will be a long time until anything new and useful
will be added to, or available to, our end-users until
some unknown future time.

And that is acceptable to you?

And no one I know of in any way is "hung up on version
number conservation", and that is moot and strawman anyway.

As fair warning, I fully expect that we will release 2.4.26
within the next 3 months. I also fully expect that some
"new enhancements" from trunk to be backported and be in
that release.

I simply care about continuing to keep Apache httpd relevant
and a continued viable offering for our community. That
means us working on next-gen, of course, but also maintaining
and fostering a community until next-gen exists.