httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Content-Length header for HTTP 204 and 1xx status codes
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2016 16:50:42 GMT
On 12/07/2016 08:31 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> Does anyone have pointers to legitimizing any 100 response
> headers?

Date is called out explicitly (RFC 7231, sec. 7.1.1.2):

    [...] An origin server MAY
    send a Date header field if the response is in the 1xx
    (Informational) or 5xx (Server Error) class of status codes.

It was even more explicit in 2616 (sec. 14.18):

     1. If the response status code is 100 (Continue) or 101 (Switching
        Protocols), the response MAY include a Date header field, at
        the server's option.

What's your end goal? I don't think we can *prohibit* modules from
sending extra headers in 100 responses, but it does make sense to limit
what we send by default, especially if we're currently sending
Content-Length (which IIUC is meaningless in that context).

*Are* we currently sending Content-Length in 100 responses? Luca's bug
mentions 204 only.

--Jacob