httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1769669 [2/2] - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x-merge-http-strict: ./ docs/manual/ docs/manual/mod/ include/ server/
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:37:53 GMT
Am 22.12.2016 um 18:25 schrieb William A Rowe Jr:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com
> <mailto:covener@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think the log severity changes below could use some eyes, especially
>     in context of 2.2.  Are these lowered because they're redundant?  I
>     haven't yet looked.
>
>     I am tempted to leave the old severities for 2.2 and wait and see if
>     it's confusing in 2.4 (should not have to enable DEBUG to see the
>     cause of a 400 error)
>

> Log severity is lowered because successfully throwing off a (generally
> deliberately) bad request is of no interest to an operator at loglevel
> error/warn, any more than any successful request is of interest.
>
> This is just log pollution. There is no action for the operator to take.

Hmmm, but if it isn't about a deliberately bad request but a bad client,
the admin could consider setting "HttpProtocolOptions Unsafe" (and now
get what he asked for. I must admit, I didn't check whether the log
lines in question are in code areas which are controlled by
HttpProtocolOptions or not.

Regards,

Rainer