httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1768036 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x-merge-http-strict: ./ CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h include/http_core.h include/httpd.h modules/http/http_filters.c server/core.c server/protocol.c server/util.c server/vhost.c
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:29:16 GMT
On 11/16/2016 05:01 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> We need to tolerate their presence. But we should ignore the guidance that
> sf originally quoted, that the URI host supersedes the Host header, it does
> not, they are two different entities it the proxy case

The "different entities" interpretation made sense to me too, but after
re-reading the spec and seeing what the browsers actually do, I'm not so
sure. (I'm a relative noob when it comes to the proxy sides of the spec,
so corrections are appreciated.)

 From section 5.4:

    A client MUST send a Host header field in all HTTP/1.1 request
    messages.  If the target URI includes an authority component, then a
    client MUST send a field-value for Host that is identical to that
    authority component, excluding any userinfo subcomponent and its "@"
    delimiter (Section 2.7.1).  If the authority component is missing or
    undefined for the target URI, then a client MUST send a Host header
    field with an empty field-value.

That's pretty absolute, and there doesn't seem to be an exception carved
out for proxies. And in practice, after giving Chromium and Firefox a
try with a local netcat "proxy", the Host headers they send are indeed
derived from the target URI, *not* the hostname of the HTTP proxy. I'd
like to see what other browsers do as well.

This would appear to prevent name-based hosting of multiple proxies and
origin servers at the same IP address, which seems strange to me, given
that the Host header would be an appropriate resolution tool in that
case... so I'm hoping there's something I'm missing.

Maybe no one needs to do that? Does anyone have experience with a
client/user-agent that makes use of name-based virtual proxies?

--Jacob