httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject ap_get_status_line(int)
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 17:51:33 GMT
Like to get your opinion:

ap_get_status_line(int) converts any status code it does not know into a 500. This is fine
for the use cases we had so far, although it can be discussed if it is a good idea, too strict
or whatnot. But I do not want to go down that rathole...

My question is how httpd should handle unknown codes coming from an upstream server. Currently:
- mod_proxy_http sends it on (tested for intermediate responses)
- mod_proxy_http2 sends a 500 server error

The reason for this is that mod_proxy_http2 generates a status line using ap_get_status_line()
while mod_proxy_http can parse that line from the upstream response.

So, we have different handling of status code acceptance in proxies responses for HTTP/1.x
and HTTP/2. This should not be. Question is, do we need another function which returns NULL
for such cases, so the caller can decide to give up or work around it?

-Stefan