httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: StrictURI in the wild [Was: Backporting HttpProtocolOptions survey]
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:17:23 GMT
On 09/14/2016 06:28 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com
> <mailto:champion.p@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     (My goal in asking this question is not to stare and point and
>     laugh, but more to figure out whether we are skating to where the
>     puck is going. It would be nice for users to know which
>     specification StrictURI is being strict about.)
>
> RFC3986 as incorporated by and expanded upon by reference in RFC7230.

...plus at least (if I'm understanding correctly) three exceptions ('|',
'[', ']') because of what we consider to be bugs in popular browsers.

FWIW, I am +1 to those exceptions because I think it's the pragmatic
thing to do. But based on the linked Mozilla bug thread, if they have
decided to forsake the IETF RFCs and are instead following a separate
"specification" that has a habit of simply tracking things as they are,
there's a decent chance that those bugs will not be fixed. In which case
StrictURI will never be "strict".

I think that's bad from a documentation and usability standpoint. If
WHATWG (hypothetically) decided to bless more exceptions to the RFC,
would we follow suit with StrictURI? Is StrictURI *really* an option to
follow the RFCs to the letter, or is it an option to try to do things as
correctly as we can without breaking major browsers?

(In any case, to echo RĂ¼diger: thanks very much for your research into
this.)

--Jacob