httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Usability testing for httpd
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 16:08:09 GMT
> What has happened is that between 2.0 -> 2.2 -> 2.4 has been an ongoing
> process of reducing 'must configure' choices in the server.  The stated goal
> some 10-12 years ago was that every module/configuration option has some
> sensible default, to an end goal of being able to start httpd with an empty
> config file. That might be overly optimistic, but if you look at the modern
> httpd.conf file, it is significantly shorter than what used to ship with
> 1.3,
> and the other oddball and illustrative items all moved to conf/extra/.
>
> It would be nice as we look beyond 2.4 to not only simplify this further as
> we see those opportunities, but look at chances to avoid the 'multiple
> slider' scenario where two or three directives are required to achieve just
> a single benefit. Good example of this are the interrelated mpm tuning
> parameters; edit one and you've likely committed yourself to editing three
> or four values for a desired end result. Timeouts spread between core and
> proxy pose a similar challenge.
>
> There are limits to our solving this puzzle; we have an infinitely
> extensible
> modular architecture and with third party modules and in-process extension
> by lua or perl, configuration will always pose some complexity IMO. But
> patches to simplify things in trunk/ are always welcome.

Sure. I think I agree with all of those points:

- minimize the boilerplate needed in a minimal configuration
- reduce interdependencies between directives
- recognize that raw power will require some minimum level of complexity

What I'm asking about here, though, is something more basic: given the
set of things that most entry-level users want to do (run a PHP
application, or a static file server, or whatever), how easy is it for a
typical user to *actually* do those things, starting from a default
configuration? That's a much more pressing issue for me than manual
performance tuning or the use of programmatic modules, which generally
involve a more advanced user.

(To be clear: I think making it easier for advanced users to do advanced
things has significant value. It's just not my focus here.)

--Jacob