httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1754579 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/gen_test_char.c
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 19:22:01 GMT
On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

> The mainframe guys say it's an unfortunate but intentional
> working-as-designed fudge of the iconv results to make the preferred
> line separator (0x15)map to/from 0x0A.  Seems like safest would be to
> not use a table for conversion but instead go through the same iconv
> that we're using to convert the data?

We have a few choices, but the bottom line is that we treat /r/n
as 0x0a 0x15 on ebcdic, and perhaps fix our iconv mapping.

Choice 1; map both 0x15 and 0x37 to ASCII 0x0d, which grows the
number of ascii equivalents by one. Both would be treated at CTRL.

Choice 2; invert our current mapping, ASCII NL to EBCDIC LF and
visa-versa. That would leave 0x37 'unguarded' and allowed as opaque
text chars.

Choice 3; treat the entire C1 codeplane on EBCDIC as CTRLs, and
ignore some 32 'opaque bytes' as unsupportable.

Thoughts?