httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1754548 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/protocol.c
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 20:02:44 GMT
> On Aug 3, 2016, at 2:28 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> So AIUI, the leading SP / TAB whitespace in a field is a no-op (usually
> represented by a single space by convention), and trailing whitespace
> in the field value is a no-op, all leading tabs/spaces (beyond one SP)
> in the obs-fold line is a no-op. Is there any reason to preserve trailing
> spaces before the obs-fold?

Not given our implementation.  The buffer efficiency argument is for other
kinds of parsers that are not reading just one line at a time.

> If not, then stripping trailing whitespace from the line prior to obs-fold and
> eating all leading whitespace on the obs-fold line will result in a single SP
> character, which should be just fine unless spaces were significant within
> a quoted value. The only way for the client to preserve such significant
> spaces would be to place them after the opening quote before the obs-fold.

obs-fold is not allowed inside quoted text, so we need not worry about
messing with such a construct.

Note that obs-fold has been formally deprecated outside of message/http.
We can remove its handling at any time we are willing to accept the risk
of strange error reports.  I do not believe it is part of our versioning contract.

....Roy