httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1750301 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/proxy: mod_proxy.h proxy_util.c
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2016 22:11:56 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Yann Ylavic <> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Stefan Eissing
> <> wrote:
correctly that any pending data downstream will reopen the connection?
>>> Hmm, I did not think about mod_proxy_h2, but correct (I'd rather say
>>> upstream though, backend side).
>>> Are there cases where some backend data are available before the
>>> request is sent?
>> In HTTP/2, yes. For example a PING frame might be waiting, or a
>> SETTINGS change. Most backends will have short timeouts for answers
>> to these (SETTINGS is expected to be ACKed soonish), but races may
>> happen. Also, HTTP/2 extensions with new frame types that need to be
>> ignored when not known may get received here.
> OK, so we probably should get rid of the call to
> ap_proxy_ssl_connection_cleanup() in proxy_http2_handler (and also in
> proxy_http_handler with my latest changes since the same check is now
> available in ap_proxy_check_connection).

I went ahead and committed r1750414 (resp. r1750416).
The possible issue if r1750414 were backported, is that without
r1750392 mod_proxy_http2 may not detect a TLS close notify before
reusing a backend connection.
If it's not backported, it may close a legitimate backend connection
with (pre-)available data...

View raw message