httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1748888 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/proxy/config.m4
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:50:00 GMT
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 21, 2016, at 7:56 AM, Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <
> ruediger.pluem@vodafone.com> wrote:

Actually no, our builds as devs are far from 'common'.  We build, as
Rüdiger correctly calls out above, with only all of the features in order
to catch all of the bugs.  That is a terrific plan until someone fluxors
the config.m4 sections.

Note especially, ./configure is meant to fail-and-continue, with any
missing modules called out for why not (OpenSSL, nghttp2, libxml2
not found... disabling mod_foo). The end result is a compiling if not
complete httpd. This is not the behavior of the offending config code
introduced in 2.4.21/2.4.22, which is enough to declare the whole
thing beta quality. We don't ship 2.4 betas.

It was common enough to be called out and ignored by you during
the 2.4.21 release vote, which is why my (-0) was promoted to a (-1).
If only 2% of the users encounter this defect, and only 10k admins
attempt to roll it out, you have 200 people pissed off at your own
bad coding. That should be enough for you to consider the wisdom
of shipping the broken schema, unless you goal is simply to shove
a new module down their throats.