httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.22 as GA
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:58:12 GMT
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 7:21 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Unless, of course, it hits/affects a lot more people
> and such a build environment which triggers the bug it
> much more common than currently envisioned. Since this
> issue exists in trunk as well, and has for a long while,
> this is somewhat doubtful, but I have provided a small
> tweet encouraging a larger group of people to test it
> out.

/boggle

Twitter is now representative of our user community?
Why not ask users@ if that's whom you sought to poll?

Trunk... https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/ws-apache/2/all
widely adopted by less than .1% of 52% of sites sampled.
That hardly seems representative.

You can directly count the number of responses to the 'please
test 2.4.21' thread to come up with a much larger number than
.05% of testers who tripped over and wasted some not-insignificant
time troubleshooting and reporting the bug, a report you ignored
related to your own config code and backport. Not exactly a
classy move.

> > On Jun 21, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just a reminder for those still testing and/or waiting to cast
> > a vote: One cannot veto a release and even tho OtherBill has
> > voted a someway bi-polar -1, my intent is to, assuming the required
> > 3 or more (binding) +1s, release this despite the diatribe
> > below.

My mental state, really, Jim? Well, now you know why I sat on the
fence deciding whether to not vote, and let you eat the eggs of the
users affected, or vote -1. It took until you re-rolled without any
feedback for me to get off the fence in defense of those users who
are adversely impacted by your short-sightedness.

If you want to treat 2.4.x as a perpetual beta, it will be in spite of
my -1 votes for all regressions we can collectively uncover. At least
the mod_http2 was in fact clearly tagged experimental... running
./configure is not.