httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_http2 windows build
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 19:54:41 GMT
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Michal Karm <michal.babacek@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 05/18/2016 05:24 PM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>
>> ... and .mak/.dep files in 2.4 branch, I'm on it today.
>>

>> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Stefan Eissing <
>> stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de <mailto:stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Reaching out to the knowledgable and always helpful Windows people:
>> do we
>>     need a mod_proxy_http2.dsp in trunk/modules/http2 (and 2.4.x branch
>> for
>>     next release)?
>>
>> Or perhaps to seize the opportunity to purge .dep/.mak and have a proper
> CMakeLists.txt instead? :)

As Stefan points out, that was already solved for the CMakeLists.txt...
if you consider it an 'improper' cmake implementation, I'm sure you can't
wait to post your patches to correct that.

Purging .dsp/.mak/.dep arrives with httpd 2.6/3.0.

We try not to be a$$es to our users as they upgrade from 2.2.31 to 2.2.32,
or from 2.4.20 to 2.4.21, so we ensure that the package remains buildable
from one subversion release to another... particularly because users often
pick up the latest subversion release to obtain security fixes, and we want
that transition from one to the next subversion release to involve as little
disruption as possible. This is across our users who are on windows, or
or linux, or any of a number of other architectures.

The .dsp files become irrelevant in this day and age, the legacy environment
it maps to is entirely dead and beyond availability, but our next chance to
fully
transition to cmake comes with the next major.minor version bump.