httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <>
Subject Scoreboard 3.0
Date Wed, 11 May 2016 15:03:39 GMT
It seems like a lot of the scoreboard confusion lies in the event
MPM lies in the work-performed-by-thread model of the thread
based scoreboard.

Let's call this existing model 'ExtendedStatus threads'

What it seems some users and committers are looking for is
a different model, let's call this 'ExtendedStatus connections'.

If we adopted an ExtendedStatus connections, the scoreboard
table would be much larger than the number of event threads,
and would report all of the open connections to the server (at
least, all those that had passed the httpready threshold of our
awareness). It can't be a simple ring, because the slots would
expire at different times relative to their injection, so we would
probably want to track the oldest request. The most optimal
implementation would have score pools per-process so that
connection score slot reuse is a simple thread lock, but we
could alternately perform this tracking across processes.

The first question that comes to mind is whether there is any
value in supporting ExtendedStatus threads+connections?
Two entire detailed lists residing in two different score shms?
Note that the traditional thread status flag scoreboard would
certainly be preserved, for a thread summary, even when the
user chooses ExtendedStatus connections.

Feedback and more ideas?

View raw message