httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Blackman <m...@exonetric.com>
Subject Re: End of the road of 2.2.x maintenance?
Date Wed, 11 May 2016 19:31:47 GMT

> On 10 May 2016, at 21:38, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>

> Are we ready to start the 12 month countdown as of the next/final bug
> fix release of 2.2, and highlight this in both the 2.2 and 2.4 announce
> broadcasts?
>
> I'm hoping we conclude some fixes of 2.4 scoreboard regressions and
> get to the point of releasing 2.4 with mod_proxy_http2 sometime within
> the next month or so, and that we can reach a consensus about how
> we will proceed on the 2.2 branch, before we get to that release.
>
> Feedback desired

As a big consumer of Apache 2.2 in my day job, where we are obliged to track Apache’s policies
very closely, I would prefer to delay this a bit. When Apache announces the formal end-of-life
date of 2.2, we will be required to engineer the migration of 6000+ wildly diverse sites to
Apache 2.4 to meet internal audit policies. I would propose the 12 month countdown starts
no earlier than Jan 2017 (as a consumer).

What’s the cost of maintaining (but maybe not updating) Apache 2.2?

Cheers,
Mark