httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Van Ulden, Joost (NRCan/RNCan)" <joost.vanul...@canada.ca>
Subject Module Development - Advice Needed
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 22:44:28 GMT
Hi all,

I approached a couple of folks at ApacheCon in Vancouver about some work that I am involved
with that would benefit from an httpd module. I am sending this message to the list to provide
more information, and to seek advice on how we should proceed.

We are developing a format we call "Map Markup Language", or MapML. The objective of this
format is to describe Web map semantics - that is scale / zoom, projection, extent, features,
styles, licenses, legends in the context of a hypermedia media type that can be manipulated
/ interacted with through the uniform interface alone.  We would like to eventually register
the format as text/mapml.

The niche for the format is best described as "HTML, but for maps".  The draft, and evolving,
specification for the format can be found here: http://maps4html.github.io/MapML/spec/, which
is one of a group of repos belonging to the W3C Maps for HTML Community Group: https://github.com/Maps4HTML.

We want to develop an httpd module, "mod_mapml" which will allow the admin to configure MapML
 A Java servlet prototype for this functionality is available: https://github.com/Maps4HTML/MapMLServer.
 (For the servlet, the parameters are passed via web.xml).

Examples of MapML responses can be elicited from a running instances of that servlet here,
for example:
http://geogratis.gc.ca/mapml/osm/?xmin=9720501&ymin=12017514&xmax=9721201&ymax=12017914&zoom=17&projection=OSMTILE
or
http://geogratis.gc.ca/mapml/fdr_current/?xmin=2312&ymin=2582&xmax=2952&ymax=3062&zoom=2&projection=CBMTILE

We would like some advice on how to proceed with the development of a module. For instance
should we pursue this as a third-party module? Can we tap into the community for development
assistance if we don't have the required skills in-house? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joost van Ulden

Project Advisor, Earth Sciences Sector
Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
joost.vanulden@canada.ca / Tel: 778-960-9248

Conseiller à la gestion de projets, Secteur des sciences de la Terre
Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
joost.vanulden@canada.ca / Tél. : 778-960-9248