httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: End of the road of 2.2.x maintenance?
Date Mon, 16 May 2016 18:26:29 GMT
On 5/16/2016 11:03 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 1:38 PM, William A Rowe Jr<wrowe@rowe-clan.net>  wrote:
>> Are we ready to start the 12 month countdown as of the next/final bug
>> fix release of 2.2, and highlight this in both the 2.2 and 2.4 announce
>> broadcasts?
> One shortcoming of a 12 month countdown is that some folks will not be
> able to plan/pitch/budget/execute a migration in 12 calendar months
> because of bad timing.
>
> As long as we're not committing to releases in this window, I'd
> personally be okay with pushing out to 18 months re: the later
> feedback in this thread. I don't feel too strongly about>  12 months
> notice, but I will still have a 2.2-derivative in support beyond that
> window anyway.

We should just pick a date right now (say 31/12/2017) and begin
announcing (website/download page/mail lists) it now. Include that one
last release will come out before the end of the year and it will be
patches only after final release and until EOL date. That is 18 and a
half months to EOL with a final release within 6 and a half. This should
leave any admin time to plan/pitch/budget/execute a migration and give
everyone a firm date to EOL to plan around.