httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: "Upgrade: h2" header for HTTP/1.1 via TLS (Bug 59311)
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:59:56 GMT

> Am 19.04.2016 um 17:47 schrieb William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>:
>
> I agree with your analysis, "h2" is not an upgrade candidate.
>
> "h2c" is an upgrade candidate.
>
> This isn't even an HTTP/2 issue (unless the working group reverses themselves
> on accepting Upgrade: h2 protocol switching), until we accept Upgrade: h2 we
> should be dropping h2 from the server Upgrade: response header.  But do let
> us know what the wg feedback is.

While I do not feel strongly about this feature, I'd like to add that the "Upgrade: h2" is
sent out as that very mechanism is available to a client. And I do not feel strongly because
I do not know of a client that might be able to use it. It is just the result of a sane software
architecture that this has become visible.

We would probably not be talking about this if some Javascript client implementation had not
consciously decided to freak out on *any* Upgrade: header from the server.

If http-wg thinks that it should not be visible, I'll add the extra 'if' to our implementation.

Cheers,

Stefan