httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: TIL
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 12:52:37 GMT
On 27 Apr 2016, at 2:49 PM, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:

> I had a look into 2.4.x this morning and while there are changes in filter brigade setaside
code, the basic "cleanup" of empty and meta buckets before the setaside is there already.

> I think this has not bween noticed before as
> 1. EOR is always followed by a FLUSH
> 2. most bucket types survive the destruction of r->pool quite well, even pool buckets
silently morph
> 3. even if transient buckets would reference pool memory, settings those aside after
destruction of r->pool, but before filter return would access freed, but not re-used memory
from the connection allocator - I think.

> So far, I have seen no reasons why meta buckets should not just be setaside in core filter.
0 length data buckets should also stay, IMHO, just ignored in the actual write.

> I can only guess the original intent: 0-length data buckets sometimes happen during some
brigade read modes and if there are several FLUSH buckets in the brigade, it makes sense to
get rid of them also. But I think the space savings are minimal.

> But there could be reasons for the current behavior, I overlooked. So, I am asking around.

I don’t see any obvious reason for the current behaviour either - is it possible to go back
in history and confirm the log entry when it was introduced?

Regards,
Graham
—