httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Kaufmann <m...@michael-kaufmann.ch>
Subject "Upgrade: h2" header for HTTP/1.1 via TLS (Bug 59311)
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:47:10 GMT
Hi,

you may already know that HTTP/2 clients use ALPN to advertise support
for HTTP/2 when TLS is used.

The issue is this: When mod_http2 is enabled, Apache sends an
"Upgrade: h2" response header to clients that have *not* advertised
support for HTTP/2 (clients that speak only HTTP/1.x).

I think that this is wrong, because of this sentence in RFC 7540:
> A server MUST ignore an "h2" token in an Upgrade header field.
> Presence of a token with "h2" implies HTTP/2 over TLS, which is
> instead negotiated as described in Section 3.3.

What do you think about this issue, and what do you think about the
attached patch in bug 59311?

Regards,
Michael