httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject RE: access control for dynamic hosts
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 16:39:41 GMT

Hello Rick,

> Forward doesn’t mean dynamic, however, and using one particular solution
> like that is misleading, IMO.  Using “forward-dns” makes more sense to
> me.

Yep, with such a name what it does is pretty clear.

> That said, how would you intend to handle multiple A records for the
> same name: look them all up and store in a table, or support only one A
> record per name?  At a minimum, I think that needs to be clearly
> documented.

Sure. The "poc" implementation posted up-thread walks over all the records
till a match is found, or this is a deny.

There is no attempt at caching anything, as the actual use case is to deal
with dynamic dns hosts, so with pretty short refresh times. Caching is the
problem of the dns resolver.