httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject fate of mod_lbmethod_rr (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.19 as GA)
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2016 21:03:25 GMT
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone get mod_lbmethod_rr.c to build?
>>

> That's funny actually.  The very first version README.cmake in trunk says
> that mod_lbmethod_rr.c doesn't build on Windows

 When I added the .dsp, it certainly did build.  --enable-mods=all should
be
triggering the build of those sources.

I think this illustrates that we have played fast and loose with something
that
1. is a public API, 2. not experimental, and 3. was illustrated with an
example
that has been frequently broken by Major ABI changes.

If devs want to promote an API and then continuously break ABI on trunk,
I'm way beyond arguing with such individuals.  Just a few choice examples
which had necessitated major MMN bumps that did not receive one...

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1477649 (no
bitwise-alignment assurance)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1436919 (no
bitwise-alignment assurance)

However, this module appears to have been broken prior to 2.4.1 GA with this
at least this commit...
... which tells me it is simply an abandoned example.

I propose we remove it from 2.4.x branch and trunk, rather than pretending
we have maintained it?