httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: About the relevance of bitfields usage (was: fate of mod_lbmethod_rr...)
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:00:09 GMT
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Common sense tells me that alignment should be preserved, but unless we
> can
> > trust the spec to ensure that assumption, we should err on the side of
> > caution.
>
> So let's not use bitfields, there are other ways to do it, and macros
> could help for bit(s) definition/checking/handling...

Let's continue to use them as we prepare for 2.6.0 - where we have the
opportunity to drop ABI and pack all of our bit flags in one place, that
still makes a lot of sense.  So would adding a group of bitfields, as was
the case in one of the commits I noted.  An int (for alignment) and three
int-bitflags still saves us two ints in the structure.