httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [Patch] Ensure HTTP1 filters are only added on HTTP1 requests
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:02:19 GMT
On 16 Mar 2016, at 5:57 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> My concern is that this can't and shouldn't change on 2.4.x.
>
> I love the concept and it is correct, however there are enough modules relying
> on the fact that they must remove the http protocol filters that changing the
> default behavior is effectively breaking binary ABI.
>
> Thoughts?

Hmm…removing a filter that doesn’t exist isn’t an error, but relying on a side effect
of a filter being there and now suddenly it is not there any more certainly will be. You’re
right on the ABI.

There are two approaches that leap to my mind, one is provide an optional function that signals
“don’t add http filters on non http connections”, the second is to keep this change
on v2.5+ and use version check to remove filters on any code that is intended to run correctly
on v2.4.

Regards,
Graham
—