httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TLS session ticket key (shared) renewal
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:20:37 GMT

On 03/18/2016 04:09 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Am 18.03.2016 um 15:01 schrieb Yann Ylavic:
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Currently this can be done by using a (shared) SSLSessionTicketKeyFile
>>> and gracefuly restarting httpd instances, but there is room for
>>> improvements here.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> For the single httpd instance case at least, I'm thinking of
>> SSLSessionTicketKeyTimeout which could be used for renewing the
>> key(s), without the need for a scheduled restart.
>> The key(s) would have to be stored/sync-ed in a SHM (or slotmem)...
>
> Would that mean, that at the points of time of key renewal all old tickets immediately
loose their validity? In that
> case you would have a regular bump in negotation rates. It would be nice, if one older
generation of keys would still
> work for a little time, so some overlap. I haven't checked how to do that though.
>
> Any idea about a scheme how to renew the keys between nodes in a farm in a synced way?
Finding a common point in time to
> renew would not be the problem (assuming synced clocks), but how the regenerate keys
deterministically starting from one
> common secret (the SSLSessionTicketKeyFile) without ending with keys which are too weak?

My idea would be at high level to leverage approaches that are used for one time passwords
here.
But I need to admit that I don't know how feasible that is at all and how usable these approaches
are for generating
a (strong) key.

Regards

RĂ¼diger