httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Ensure HTTP1 filters are only added on HTTP1 requests
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 09:23:53 GMT
On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 22:57 -0500, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> My concern is that this can't and shouldn't change on 2.4.x.

> Thoughts?

If someone is independently using a different protocol,
or has just tweaked HTTP handling for their own reasons,
they could be using hacks/workarounds this'll break.
We've seen similar cases in the lifetime of 2.4 where PHP
introduced its own workarounds that our bugfixes then broke.

Basic lesson: any such patch must be switchable and default
to off.

On the other hand, mod_h2 being marked as pre-stable means
we haven't promised stability to anyone who's hacked it.
So mod_h2 could safely deal with protocol filters.  Or by
extension could explicitly set a flag to trigger a core
change as per this patch.

Does this merit that level of hack?

--
Nick Kew