httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Melezhik <melez...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: collaboration request - apache server automation testing with swat tool
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2016 18:06:26 GMT
Hi Yann!

* per issues apache configurations *

https://github.com/entimelezhik/apache-swat/tree/master/htdocs is
document root , every issue thus is represented by directory inside
htdocs , named by issue number  f.e.
- htdocs/44221
- htdocs/58777

If it's necessary per issue configuration defined by .htaccess files
placed at issues directories for example:

- htdocs/58777/.htaccess

All other static files are thus kept under issue directory , for example:

- htdocs/58777/data/foo.data

* global apache configuration ( httpd.conf )*

httpd.conf is generated by template file -
https://github.com/melezhik/apache-swat/blob/master/httpd.conf.tmpl -
this is vanilla apcahe2 config file taken from standard apach2e
installation ( https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/install.html )
with some `LoadModule' lines uncommented to make it possible to run
tests for some none default enabled apache modules ( mod_rewrite ,
mod_include , ... )

* Initial test configuration *

Initial test configuration is trivial :

* install apache2 to /some/prefix/directory
$ git clone https://github.com/melezhik/apache-swat.git
$ cd apache-swat

# generate httpd.conf for your apache installation prefix

$ ./configure.bash /some/prefix/directory

# run apache with generated httpd.conf at CWD
$ sudo /some/prefix/directory/bin/apachectl -f `pwd`/httpd.conf

then you may choose to:

# run all tests

$ swat

 # or run per-issue test

$ swat -t 58777

 To summarize:

* per issues apache configurations based on related directories/htcaccess files
* one httpd.conf for all issues
* technically speaking it is possible to  have multiple issues related
httpd.conf files ( one  per issue ) , but this means:
  - necessity of apache2 server restart at the beginning of  every
issue test which has time impact ( or have many apache2 instances with
different httpd.conf which is hard to maintain  )
  - in many cases per issues apache2 configuration could be expressed
via directories/htaccess files which is much easier to maintain

Hope, this helps.

Regards

Alexey