httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Shouldn't ap_get_remote_host use req->useragent_addr?
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:14:47 GMT
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Jan Kalu┼ża <jkaluza@redhat.com> wrote:
> > When httpd is running behind a reverse proxy and mod_remoteip is
> configured,
> > the correct client IP is logged (using %a in the LogFormat), but the
> proxy
> > IP is used by 'Require host .mydomain.net'. I would expect the host
> based on
> > IP provided by mod_remoteip to be used here.
> >
> > Is this expected behaviour? Maybe the ap_get_remote_host method should
> use
> > req->useragent_addr instead of conn->client_addr to obtain the
> REMOTE_HOST.
>
> what about "Require ip ..."?

I agree that require host should track to the same entity as the require ip,
which means the behavior right now is incorrect.

There could be a Require conn-ip / conn-host that looks "around" the request
based user agent down to the connection level user agent (proxy) address.

But this mismatch is unnecessarily confusing, and what the original remoteip
module was meant to avoid.