httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1729929 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h include/http_core.h include/httpd.h server/core.c
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:49:11 GMT
On Feb 12, 2016 2:24 AM, "Yann Ylavic" <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 2:04 AM,  <wrowe@apache.org> wrote:
> > Author: wrowe
> > Date: Fri Feb 12 01:04:58 2016
> > New Revision: 1729929
> >

> > +    /** Originator's DNS name, if known.  NULL if DNS hasn't been
checked,
> > +     *  "" if it has and no address was found.  N.B. Only access this
though
> > +     *  ap_get_useragent_host() */
> > +    char *useragent_host;
>
> const char * ?
> Christophe has made some changes recently to add const to r->protocol
> (trunk only, can't be backported...), I think we shoudn't introduce
> new char* in "public" structs.

While I would generally agree, the note states you must not access this
member directly, so it seems irrelevant.  But such a change should be
harmless.

> > +    /** have we done double-reverse DNS? -1 yes/failure, 0 not yet,
> > +     *  1 yes/success
> > +     *  TODO: 2 bit signed bitfield when this structure is compacted
> > +     */
> > +    int double_reverse;
> >  };
>
> I see this TODO about bitfield, but never seen it done in your
> commits, so I wonder where Rainer's warning comes from...
> Anyway, once backported (as you propose), we can hardly change it.

Precisely, it will NOT change in 2.4 and should not change, and is only
applicable to trunk.  I should have omitted from the initial commit.

If we define this as int :2 and add a second int :2, none of the c
standards promise that the initial 2-bit value maintains its previous
alignment.  The alignment is undefined.

When we refactor trunk structures in anticipation of 2.6/3.0, that will be
the time to permanently park short bit values adjacent to one another.

If backported, we should redact the comment.

Cheers,

Bill