httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bannister <>
Subject Re: balancer-manager docs
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 17:55:50 GMT
On 9 Feb 2016, at 16:02, Rainer Jung <> wrote:
> Am 09.02.2016 um 13:25 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> We currently have really really little info about the balancer-manager in our docs,
just a short little blurb on how to enable it and a brief description of what it does [1].
I'd like to extend that, but does it make sense to add it to the mod_proxy_balancer module
page, or have a separate page dedicated to it which we can link to?
>> 1.
> Adding even more questions:
> I always think it is confusing for newbies, that all configuration directives for any
mod_proxy_* are documented on the mod_proxy page. Although this reflects the code, config
is done by mod_proxy, it is not what a user would expect. If e.g. He is working with a balancer,
he would expect more info about how to configure a balancer in the mod_proxy_balancer page.

Cc: to docs@

The module pages can document the module; I think that's appropriate for reference documentation.

What's missing is more of a “how do I set up X” guide. I think the topics could be:

• forward proxy (and access control) with or without cacheing
• reverse proxy with or without cacheing
• balancing and high availability for reverse proxies

I think this is me volunteering to at least draft some text, if people agree this approach
makes sense.

Tim Bannister –

View raw message