httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Worker states for balancer members
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 17:03:25 GMT

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 11:56 AM, Tim Bannister <isoma@c8h10n4o2.org.uk> wrote:
>
> On 3 February 2016 14:21:58 GMT, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
>> STOPPED: Never sent proxy traffic. Never health-checked. Never
>>        re-tried. Never automatically re-enabled.
>>
>> DISABLED: Never sent proxy traffic. Is health-checked. Retried.
>>         Could be automatically re-enabled.
>>

> Some users could actually expect to see health checks sent to STOPPED workers but not
to a DISABLED worker.

> I'm trying to think like a newbieish webmaster: if they declare a balancer member +D
they are saying that it is not in use: maybe the host is not set up yet, maybe it no longer
provides that service.
> STOPPED comes over as saying “temporarily do not use” whereas DISABLED feels like
“administratively disabled”, “no longer in service”, that kind of.

> I'd say this doesn't match how the balancer-manager portrays things. Whichever interpretation
wins out is going to be worth documenting (I think?) to avoid that risk of confusion.

Yeah, agreed. I've starting documenting the diff...