httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Worker states for balancer members
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 17:03:25 GMT

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 11:56 AM, Tim Bannister <> wrote:
> On 3 February 2016 14:21:58 GMT, Jim Jagielski <> wrote:
>> STOPPED: Never sent proxy traffic. Never health-checked. Never
>>        re-tried. Never automatically re-enabled.
>> DISABLED: Never sent proxy traffic. Is health-checked. Retried.
>>         Could be automatically re-enabled.
> Some users could actually expect to see health checks sent to STOPPED workers but not
to a DISABLED worker.
> I'm trying to think like a newbieish webmaster: if they declare a balancer member +D
they are saying that it is not in use: maybe the host is not set up yet, maybe it no longer
provides that service.
> STOPPED comes over as saying “temporarily do not use” whereas DISABLED feels like
“administratively disabled”, “no longer in service”, that kind of.
> I'd say this doesn't match how the balancer-manager portrays things. Whichever interpretation
wins out is going to be worth documenting (I think?) to avoid that risk of confusion.

Yeah, agreed. I've starting documenting the diff...

View raw message