httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AddOutputFilterByType in Apache 2.4 inserts filters as AP_FTYPE_RESOURCE
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 21:44:11 GMT
On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 17:59 +0100, Micha Lenk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The directive AddOutputFilterByType can be used to insert filters to the
> output filter chain depending on the content type of the HTTP response.
> So far so good.
>
> PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

This is probably worth a bugzilla entry.

I think I can clarify a little of what's happened.
AddOutputFilterByType was something of a hacked afterthought
to filtering back in the days of httpd 2.0.  On the one hand,
it met a need.  On the other hand, it worked only in a very
limited range of situations where the content type was known
at the time the filter was to be added.  It had no capacity
to respond to other aspects of the content, or indeed the
request/response.  And there were other issues.

Then came mod_filter and a generalised framework.
AddOutputFilterByType was now obsolete, but too widely-used
to dispense with entirely.  As a compromise it was re-implemented
within mod_filter, where it could co-exist with other dynamic
filter configuration.

Your observation tells us the semantics aren't quite compatible.
And your patch looks good - thanks.

--
Nick Kew