httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: graceful restart
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2016 16:30:05 GMT
Thanks, I will investigate tomorrow and report back.

> Am 05.01.2016 um 17:26 schrieb William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>:
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Stefan Eissing
> <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> > To the Knowledgable out there: how can I detect that the server is gracefully restarting?
> >
> > Backlground is that HTTP/2
> > 1. is sometimes in the state of being IDLE, but unable to return to the MPM, *could*
however terminate the HTTP2 session.
> > 2. HTTP2 sessions can be brought down by first announcing that no more streams will
be processed and then closing, once the existing ones are done.

> > Thanks for the help.
>
> More generally, do you want to know if the child process is trying to
> gracefully exit?
>
> I think currently that is tied up in the MPMs and would need to be
> exposed, but let's wait for others.
> who will know better.
>
> ap_mpm_query should answer such questions, we should expand the answer-set if not.
>
> Does AP_MPMQ_MPM_STATE report AP_MPMQ_STOPPING?  If not there is clearly a fourth state,
AP_MPMQ_CHILD_STOPPING we should report.  The API change will be a bit of a hassle for existing
modules though... if they wanted to truly know that the parent will still be running or is
stopping.