httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject issue with "uncacheable" cache revalidations
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:50:56 GMT
I've been looking at an issue where a revalidation
of a stale cache entry fails because the 304 response
on the revalidation doesn't contain its own CC or Expires
but the URL has a query string.  This kicks the revalidation
response out of the cache save filter early and we never
get to look at the stale handle and update the headers.

This is also one of the FIXME cases where the 304 still leaks
out to a non-conditional request.

Part of me wants to merge the Expires/CC headers earlier, or
load up the local variables with what we'd end up merged for
Expires and CC.  But since it's just two headers, part of me wants
to peek at them earlier but leave them as distinct things being
tracked in that early if/else/ for the various reasons.

In the same neighborhood, we are missing a httpbis clarification
about not using Expires when we have parsed CC: s-maxage.  On
this fork of the problem I looked at, some third-party component
had added a mystery Expires: $longago to the response to
accompany a cookie.

Anyone with strong feelings or insight about either of these cases?

I might not come back to it until the new year.